Carne Guisada (Beef Stew)
This recipe can be used for Beef Stew Tacos.
- 1 (1 1/4 pound) chuck roast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon chili
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add beef and stir
constantly until it is well browned. Add bell pepper, onion, jalapenos, beef stock,
tomato paste, cumin seeds and chili powder and bring the Guisada to a simmer on
the stove. Cover the skillet and place it in the oven. Bake for about 2 1/2 hours,
until the meat is falling-apart tender. During the cooking, check the meat every
10 minutes and add additional water or beef stock, if necessary.
- When the dish has finished cooking, there should be enough liquid to come about
halfway up the meat, and it should be rather thick.
- Make a roux with the all-purpose flour and vegetable oil. Add the roux in 1 teaspoon
increments, to give the sauce a final thickening and bind the ingredients together.
Remove the bay leaf and serve with rice and refried beans.
Variation: Peel 2 potatoes, cut them into bite-size dices, and boil them until
they are just soft. Stir the potatoes into the Carne Guisada, bring to a boil, and
simmer for 5 minutes. Wrap in soft, warm flour tortillas.