Chicken and Fruit Stew
(Tapado de Pollo)
- 1/3 cup unsifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) can juice-pack pineapple slices, drained, reserving liquid
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon or 4 chicken-flavor bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 unripened banana, unpeeled
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 firm pear, peeled, cored and sliced
- In a plastic bag, combine flour and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at
a time; shake to coat.
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil; pour off fat. Add
onion and jicama.
- In a medium bowl, combine reserved pineapple juice, tomatoes, bouillon,
sugar and cinnamon; pour over chicken. Cover; simmer for 35 minutes.
- Cut unpeeled banana into 8 pieces. Stir banana, pineapple slices, zucchini
and pear into chicken mixture. Cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove peel from banana before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.