Chicken and Salsa Soup
Decide how zesty you want this soup to be, then choose from mild, medium, or
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
- 1 cup chunky garden-style salsa
- 3 cups broken baked or fried corn tortilla chips
- 2 ounces Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded
- In a 3-quart saucepan combine water, chicken broth, chicken and chili powder.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add corn. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in salsa; heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with chips and sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving Suggestion: Fix up a 15-ounce package corn bread mix by stirring in a drained 4-ounce can
diced green chile peppers before spreading in the pan. Sprinkle with paprika; bake
Nutrition facts per serving: 319 calories, 9 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat,
42 mg cholesterol, 989 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein, 16%
vitamin A, 43% vitamin C, 10% calcium, 11% iron
Posted by Lisabug at Recipe Goldmine 6/21/01 3:21:39 pm.