Chicken Soup Mexicana
All of your favorite Mexican flavors mix together in this soup while the canola
oil and avocado supply healthy fats. ¡Muy delicioso!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 5 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 2 teaspoons
cumin 10 mL
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 5 mL
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2/3 cup lentils 150 mL
- 1 can (19 ounces) tomatoes, chopped 540 mL
medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds cooked chicken, cubed 1 kg
- 1 small
zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas 250 mL
- 1 small avocado, peeled and
- In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Sauté until vegetables
- Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with avocado slices.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutritional analysis Per Serving Calories 250 Total Fat 6 g Saturated Fat
1.5 g Cholesterol 75 mg Carbohydrates 14 g Fiber 5 g Protein 33 g Sodium 280 mg
Source: Canola Info Test Kitchen
Reprinted with permission from