Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 cooked chicken
- 6 cups (48 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil,
- 6 corn tortillas, cut in 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Lime wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cubed Mexican cheese, such as queso
fresco or shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- Pull meat off chicken and dice into bite-size pieces.
- Refrigerate until
ready to use.
- Discard skin and bones or place in saucepan with chicken broth.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook about 20 minutes. Strain, discarding skin
- Refrigerate broth and discard fat from top. (This is optional; you
can use plain chicken broth.)
- Put 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Working in batches if necessary, add
tortilla strips and cook until lightly brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted
spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add
onion, cover, reduce heat and cook about 10 minutes, until softened.
and add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Increase heat to medium.
- Add tomatoes and about half the tortilla strips. Add the broth, then bring
to a boil. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Puree in the pot using an immersion
blender, or in a countertop blender in batches, working carefully.
- Return soup to stove over medium heat. Stir in chicken.
- To serve, place
a few tortilla strips in a bowl. Top with soup, then garnish with lime wedges,
cilantro, cheese and avocado.
Per serving: 510 calories, 41 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 30 g fat, 130
mg cholesterol, 1,600 mg sodium, 4 g fiber. Calories from fat: 53 %