Chili con Queso Soup
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 (4 ounce) cans mild green chiles, drained, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into bits
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 8 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Green onions, chopped
- Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Cook onion in butter over moderately low heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally
until onion is softened. Add chiles and tomatoes. Cook mixture 8 to 10 minutes
over moderate heat until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese. Maintain moderate to low heat until the cheese melts.
Stir in chicken broth, half-and-half, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt.
Heat soup over moderate heat until hot, but do not boil.
- Sprinkle the tortilla chips, green onions, and Monterey jack cheese over
Yield: 8 cups