- 1 pound firm-texture chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dehydrated masa flour or yellow cornmeal
- 3 diced roasted green chiles, skins and seeds removed, or 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- Remove chorizo casings and crumble sausage into a 5- to 6-quart pan; add
onion. Stir often over medium high heat until meat and onion are browned, about 15 minutes.
- Mix masa with sausage mixture, then stir in chiles and broth. Stirring often,
bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer gently 20 minutes to blend flavors; stir frequently.
- Skim fat from surface as it accumulates and discard. Ladle soup into bowls;
add cheese and cilantro to taste.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings