Classic Red Chile Stew
Try spreading this on Indian Fry Bread, then folding the bread over the filling.
8 dried red New Mexican chiles
2 pounds pork or beef stew meat, cut into 1
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups beef broth, divided
- Arrange chiles on a cookie sheet and place in a 200 degree F oven for 5
minutes or until they smell like they are toasted. Be careful not to burn them.
- Remove the stems and seeds. Cover chiles with 2 cups of the beef broth and
let sit for 20 minutes until they are softened.
- Place chiles and broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Brown meat in oil and remove from the pan.
- Add 1 cup of the beef broth to the pan to de-glaze it.
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot or large pot, bring to a boil, reduce
heat, and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender and starts to
fall apart, and the stew is thickened, adding more water if necessary.
>> Southwestern Soup Recipes
>> Mexican Soup Recipes