Cream of Artichoke Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 cups well-seasoned chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dry sherry
- Garlic croutons
- Cook frozen artichoke hearts in salted water according to package instructions.
Allow to cool in their cooking liquid and puree in blender with 1 or 2 cups of their cooking broth. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter and add flour. Cook, stirring often, for 2
minutes, but do not let it brown. Slowly add 2 cups of the broth and the evaporated
milk or cream. Cook until smooth, stirring often. Add remaining broth, then season to taste.
- Strain pureed artichokes into chicken stock mixture and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add nutmeg and correct the seasoning.
- Serve laced with dry sherry and topped with fresh garlic croutons.