Fiesta Bean and Sausage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 links turkey sausage, casings removed, cut into pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Cook,
stirring constantly, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Drain sausage on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe out saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper, and green onions to saucepan.
Cook, stirring, until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and cumin to saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer. Add beans and sausage. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, lime juice, and red pepper sauce.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.
- Serve immediately.