Fiesta Pasta Soup
- 6 ounces vermicelli, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can roasted garlic seasoned chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (Ro*Tel)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexi-corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Combine broths, water, tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder and cumin in a Dutch
oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the sausage in half lengthwise then thinly slice. Add meat, pasta, corn,
and black beans to broth; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Garnish each serving with minced fresh cilantro, thinly
sliced avocado and grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
Each serving provides: 253 Calories, 15 g Protein, 36 g Carbohydrates, 5
g Fat, 28 mg Cholesterol, 919 mg Sodium, 7 mcg Folate, Calories from Fat 18%
Recipe and photo credit: National Pasta Association