Gila Chicken Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces skinned and boned chicken breast
1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
(14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
3 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved and cut into
1/2-inch wide strips
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
6 tablespoons plain low-fat
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook for
3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until opaque.
- Stir in onion, garlic, cumin,
salt, chili powder and red pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently,
until garlic and spices are fragrant.
- Stir in broth, undrained corn, drained
black beans and stewed tomatoes. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake
for 5 minutes, stirring once, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Stir cilantro
into soup and ladle soup into bowls. Top servings with tortilla strips and a
tablespoon of yogurt.
Makes 6 servings.
>> Southwestern Soup Recipes
>> Mexican Soup Recipes