Green Chicken Pozole
- 1 large can hominy
- 4-5 pounds chicken (breast, thighs, drums)*
- 10 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 1 1/2 white onions
- 1-3 Serrano peppers (more for spicy preference)
- 2 bunches of cilantro
- 1/3 cup of pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 1 bunch radishes finely sliced
- 8-10 limes
- Dry oregano leaves
- Rinse hominy well until the water runs clear and place in the pot.
- Place your chicken in the pot with the hominy and cover with
water...enough to barely cover everything.
- Add 5 minced garlic cloves, half an onion (roughly chopped) into
water and add 1 tablespoon salt. Let it come to a boil and simmer for
about an hour.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 5 cloves garlic, white onion, tomatillos,
serrano peppers, cilantro and pepitas into a blender and blend until
smooth. Add to pot and continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes.
Adjust salt as you go.
- Top with oregano, shredded lettuce, chopped onion, lime juice and
sliced radishes to serve.
* For a slightly healthier version you can use chicken breast only with
no skin. Also a common side is tostadas and/or avocado