Jalisco-Style Posole (Posole Estilo Jalisco)
- 12 to 16 dried cascabel chiles (see note)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (2-pound) package nixtamal (see note)
- 6 quarts water
- 3 medium onions (divided)
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes
pounds pork for posole (cut-up pork shoulder, with bones) or pork stew meat
- 3 tablespoons salt or to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 bunch
radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried oregano, crushed or ground pequin chile or other hot chile
- 10 to 12 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 package
whole crisp corn tortillas (used for tostadas)
- Cut open the cascabel chiles and remove the seeds. Heat the oil in a small
skillet over low heat. Add the chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 3
to 4 minutes. Place in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight. Before using,
drain the chiles, discarding the water; remove the stems and any remaining seeds.
- Place the nixtamal in a colander and rinse thoroughly. Place in a Dutch
oven or heavy lidded pot and add the water. Slice 1 onion and add it to the
pot along with the garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil gently, covered,
1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook 2 minutes.
Drain and allow to cool, then peel. Place the tomatoes and the chiles in a blender
and puree. Set aside.
- Remove the excess fat from the pork. The meat can remain in large chunks.
When the nixtamal has boiled 11/2 hours, add the pork, the tomato-chile mixture
and the salt. Cover and boil gently 1 1/2 hours longer.
- Chop the 2 remaining onions. Arrange the chopped onions, lettuce, radishes,
oregano, crushed or ground chile and lime wedges in serving bowls.
- To serve, ladle the posole into large soup bowls.
- Add the garnishes and
squeeze in lime juice as desired, with tortillas to accompany.
Yield: 10 servings
Wear gloves when handling chiles; the oils can cause a burning sensation
on your skin.
Nutrition information per serving: calories: 622; protein: 28 grams; total fat: 16 grams; saturated
fat: 4 grams; cholesterol: 52 mg; sodium: 2,202 mg; carbohydrate: 100 grams; dietary
fiber: 20 grams