Mexican Tortilla Soup with Monterey Jack
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 cups (32 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces (2 small) chicken breasts,
cut into 8 pieces
- Corn tortilla chips, broken
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin
Monterey jack cheese *, shredded
- Lime wedges, chopped cilantro, chopped avocado,
- In food processor or blender, purée stewed tomatoes.
- n large saucepan, bring pureed tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin and chicken breasts
to boil. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken pieces to clean cutting board and shred, using two forks.
- Divide chicken among 4 bowls; top with broken chips and shredded Monterey jack.
Pour hot soup over and serve soup with limes, avocado, and cilantro, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
* Queso quesadilla or muenster may be substituted for Monterey jack.
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.