San Luis Green Chile Soup
- 6 medium, fresh Anaheim chilies
- 1 large red bell
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 ounces salt pork, diced
- 1/2 pound
boned chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound pork butt steak, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 quarts chicken broth, warmed
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded
and diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Roast Anaheim chilies, red pepper and jalapeno under hot broiler close to
heat until skins blister, turning to char on all sides. Place in plastic bag
for 10 minutes.
- Peel, dice and set aside.
- In large skillet, cook salt pork until fat is rendered. Remove salt pork
with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel.
- Increase heat and sauté chicken and pork quickly until browned. Drain and
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add
flour and cook stirring until roux is golden brown.
- Remove roux from heat and stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic and tomato
- Whisk in warm chicken broth and heat to simmering.
- Add chiles, red pepper, jalapeno, salt pork, chicken and pork to soup. Heat
thoroughly and stir in tomatoes and cilantro. Heat to simmering.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 1/17/2002 3:11 pm.
Source: Jim Vorheis