Sopa de Pollo a la Mexicana
All of your favorite Mexican flavors mix together in this soup while the canola
oil and avocado supply healthy fats. Muy delicioso!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 2 teaspoons
cumin 10 mL
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 5 mL
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2/3 cup lentils 150 mL
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, chopped 540 mL
- 3 medium
carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds cooked chicken, cubed 1 kg
- 1 small zucchini,
- 1 cup frozen peas 250 mL
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Sauté until
vegetables are tender.
- Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes,
or until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with avocado slices.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutritional Analysis Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Per Serving Calories
250 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 1.5g Cholesterol 75mg Sodium 280mg Carbohydrates
14g Fiber 5g Protein 33g
Source: CanolaInfo Virtual Test Kitchen
Recipe and photo credit: