Spanish Beef Stew
This is sometimes called Ropa Vieja or "Old Clothes," because of its
- 1 (1 3/4) pound beef flank steak, cut into thirds
- 1 medium onion, coarsely
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt,
- 5 cups water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red
bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Capers (for garnish)
- Put steak, medium onion, carrot, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the
water in a Dutch oven. Heat to boil, then simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Turn off heat and let stand 30 minutes or cover and leave in the refrigerator
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add large onion, bell peppers and remaining
1 teaspoon salt and sauté until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, chiles and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the beef to a bowl. Strain broth, reserving 2 cups.
- Shred beef into fine strips. Stir reserved broth and shredded meat into
the pepper mixture and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with capers to serve.