- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 10 fresh tamales, frozen *
- Grated cheese
- Brown beef with onion and pepper in oil in a large skillet. Drain off grease.
- Add corn and bouillon that has been dissolved in water.
- Add other ingredients, except tamales and cheese. Cook over low heat until
flavors are blended.
- Thirty minutes before serving, cut the frozen tamales into one-inch pieces
and add to soup. If tamales are not frozen, they will fall apart after a short
- Top servings with cheese and serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 to 8 bowls.
* If fresh tamales are not available, use canned. Drain, remove paper, and slice
into one-inch pieces. Add at last minute to soup to heat through.