Tortilla, Chile and Lime Soup
Tortilla soup is a favorite at the luncheon tables of Mexican homes. Clear and
flavorful chicken broth marries beautifully with diced green chiles and tangy fresh
limes. Shredded pieces of tender chicken breast make a savory contrast with chunks
of tomato and crunchy tortilla bits.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce)
can recipe-ready diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup lime juice, (about 4 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded
chicken breast meat (about 4 small half breasts)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
(about 2 ounces)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion
and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is
- Add broth, tomatoes, chiles, lime juice and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken; cook for 3 to
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with chips and garnish with chopped avocado or
chopped cilantro before serving.
Yield: 9 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Nestlé® and meals.com.