This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Candace's Carnitas Tacos
Make a carnitas bar for family to make their own tacos. Serve with a tomato salad.
- 1 (2 pound) boneless blade pork roast, trimmed
- 1 carrots, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 (8-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine carrot, onion, and wine in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle roast on all sides with chili powder, rubbing it into meat.
- Season on all sides with salt and add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until roast is falling-apart tender, about 6 hours.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a large bowl.
- Use two forks to shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Moisten/season with cooking juices to taste.
- Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cabbage and mayonnaise.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange 2 tortillas on each serving plate.
- Fill tortillas with pork, cabbage mixture, and avocado and serve. (Alternately,
arrange pork, cabbage mixture, and avocado on a platter and let guests make
their own tacos.)
Prep time 10 min | Cook time 6 hr | Serves 6
Cooking tip: For even more flavorful carnitas, brown roast on all sides in a
lightly oiled skillet before sprinkling with chili powder.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 590 calories Protein: 36 grams Fat: 26
grams Sodium: 940 milligrams Cholesterol: 95 milligrams Saturated Fat: 6 grams Carbohydrates:
47 grams Fiber: 7 grams
Recipe courtesy of celebrity mom Candace Cameron Bure, on behalf of The National Pork Board.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com