Carne Asada Tacos with Queso Fresco
These Carne Asada Tacos are about as authentic as you can get!
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup cilantro,
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 avocados, cut in strips
- 8 corn
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) Wisconsin queso fresco,
queso blanco or feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine cabbage with lime juice, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix
well and set aside.
- Heat large, heavy skillet over high heat (or heat electric griddle to
400 degrees F).
- Season both sides of steak with salt and chipotle powder. Drizzle with
olive oil. Place in hot skillet; grill for 6 minutes per side. Remove from
skillet; let rest 5 minutes; then cut against the grain into 16 strips.
- Wipe skillet clean; return to heat and warm tortillas a few seconds to
soften. Fold to make taco shape; fill each taco with 2 pieces of steak and
1-2 strips of avocado. Top with cabbage and sprinkles of queso fresco.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
>> Southwestern Taco Recipes