This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Crispy Fish Tacos
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 pounds cod filets, cut into 2-inch strips, lengthwise
- 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flour
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup club soda, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Taco shells or tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Lime wedges
- Hot pepper sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Squeeze lime juice over each strip. Let stand while preparing batter.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, cayenne and black pepper in medium
bowl; add club soda and lime juice. Whisk until batter is smooth. Let stand
for 10 minutes. Gently stir fish into batter.
- Heat 1 inch oil in deep skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully slide 5 or 6 fish strips into oil. Fry until deeply golden,
about 2 minutes per side. Transfer fish to paper-towel-lined baking sheet;
place in oven. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Serve with sauce, taco shells or tortillas, cabbage or lettuce, tomatoes, lime
wedges and hot pepper sauce.