Gorditas (Flatbread Tacos)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons lard or Crisco
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups hot water
- Mix together the flour, masa harina, salt and baking powder. Add lard or
Criso and butter; mix well until crumbly.
- Add water until a good texture
is formed...not too sticky. If it's too sticky, add more flour, a little at a
time. Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Set comal over medium-high heat.
- Flour the working surface. Roll a ball of flour mixture
to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cook on comal for about 1 minutes; turn and cook the other side.
- As soon as you remove the gordita from the comal,
make a slit in the middle and set aside until you have them all made.
- Fill with your favorite meats or refried beans.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 2 min
You can also make these with 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
if you do not care to use masa harina. It's a personal choice.