Shredded Beef Tacos
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck
- 1 cup water
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 California chile or 1 poblano
chile, roasted and peeled, or 1 canned whole green chile
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 onion, chopped
- Cilantro leaves, chopped
- Place meat in a large saucepan.
- Add water, peppercorns, onion and salt to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat. Cover and simmer until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool meat in broth. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup broth.
- Shred meat with 2 forks. Set aside.
- Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt to make a paste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Cook until
onion is tender.
- Cut chile into short strips. Add chile strips and tomatoes to cooked onion.
Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add meat, cumin and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook and stir until
meat is heated through.
- Stir in reserved broth. Taste and add salt if needed. Keep warm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare salsa if making fresh. Mash avocado in a small bowl.
- Stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Beat until smooth.
- Place avocado mixture, onion, cilantro and salsa in separate bowls and set
- For each taco, place spoonful of shredded beef on a warm tortilla.
- Top with avocado mixture, onion, cilantro and salsa to taste.
- Fold tortilla around filling.
- Serve immediately.