Steak Tacos with Chipotle Cream
Marinade and/or Sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 beef flank steaks or top round steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 4 green bell peppers, cut in half
- 2 medium onions, cut crosswise in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 to 20 small flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- Marinade and/or Sauce: Combine marinade ingredients.
- Tacos: Place steaks and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat.
- Close bag; marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Brush peppers and onions with oil.
- Place steaks and vegetables on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill flank steaks, uncovered, 17 to 21 minutes for medium doneness (top
round steaks 16 to 18 minutes for medium rare), turning occasionally.
- Grill peppers and onions for 16 to 18 minutes, turning occasionally; remove
peppers and continue grilling onions 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Cut vegetables into strips; combine.
- Carve steaks across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve beef and vegetables in tortillas with Chipotle Cream.
- Chipotle Cream: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover; refrigerate.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings; about 1 1/2 cups Chipotle Cream