- 1 large, ripe tomato, roasted, then peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lard or vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken breast, cooked, skinned, boned and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine tomato, onion and garlic in a blender and process until very smooth.
- Heat the lard or oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. When
quite hot, add the puree and stir constantly until it is thick and reduced,
about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, remove from the heat and season with salt.
- To make tacos, quick-fry 12 corn tortillas to soften them.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling across each tortilla, roll up and secure
with wooden picks.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Add more oil to what is in the skillet and heat to medium-high heat. When
quite hot, place 6 tacos in the oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until all sides
are lightly browned and crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a slow oven while frying the remainder.
- Serve tacos over a bed of shredded lettuce, and drizzle with crema.
- Dollop guacamole down the center and sprinkle with grated cheese.