Chile Rellenos Tamales
This is a basic dough that can be paired with many fillings.
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 Anaheim chile peppers
- 22 corn husks, soaked
- Masa Dough for Savory Tamales
- 2/3 cup Monterey jack cheese, cubed
Masa Dough for Savory Tamales
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups Masa Harina
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Tamales: Combine the tomatoes, chipotles, onion, cilantro and salt and set
in the refrigerator to chill for one hour.
- Cut a small slit in the Anaheim chiles and roast them over a flame; steam
them in a bag, then peel and seed them. Cut each pepper into 4 pieces. Tear
2 of the corn husks into strips for tying.
- Masa Dough for Savory Tamales: Beat the shortening in a bowl with a whisk
- In a small bowl, mix together the Masa Harina and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the stock and water.
- With an electric mixer (or a wooden spoon), beat the masa and liquid, alternately,
into the shortening, adding just enough liquid to make a stiff dough.
- Beat in the baking powder last.
- Assembly: Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the dough in the center of a husk and
put a piece of the roasted Anaheim in the center of the dough; add 2 cubes of
cheese. Spread an additional tablespoon of the dough over the filling; fold
and tie the tamale.
- Steam for 1 hour.
Enough dough for 16-20 tamales.