Sweet Pineapple Tamales (Tamales de Dulce)
Aside from flan, sweet tamales are probably the most satisfying of Mexican
desserts. The flavor varieties for sweet tamales are endless. This pineapple and
raisin tamale is one of our favorites. They go great with morning coffee!
- 30 dried corn husks
- Hot water
- 3/4 cup firmly packed crushed piloncillo or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Masa Harina
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- Boiling water
- 2 cups crema or sour cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Place corn husks in large pot; add very hot water to cover. Top husks with
plate and heavy jar to keep submerged. Let stand at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Drain corn husks; rinse and rub each husk under running water to remove
any silk and debris. Drain well; pat dry. Wrap in towel to keep pliable.
- Combine piloncillo, lard and butter in large mixer bowl; beat until light
and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract. Mix Masa Harina, 1/4 cup
at a time; beat until thoroughly blended. Gradually beat in warm water, using
just as much as is needed to form dough that just holds together. Stir in coconut
- For each tamale, spread rounded tablespoon dough in center of 1 corn husk
to form 3-inch square; top with 4 to 6 pineapple pieces. Make 30 tamales in
all. Fold tamales.
- Line large steamer basket with remaining corn husks. Stack tamales in basket,
seam sides down. Cover tamales with kitchen towel. Place steamer basket over
3 to 4 inches boiling water; cover with lid. Adjust heat to maintain gentle
boil. Steam tamales about 40 minutes.
- Remove 1 tamale from center of basket and carefully unwrap; if dough pulls
easily away from husk, it is done. If necessary, steam 5 or 10 minutes longer
and test again.
- Serve tamales hot.
Yield: about 30 tamales
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Tamale Recipes