This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chayote with Onions (Chayote con Cebollas)
- 2 chayote squash (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pare and seed chayotes; cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Cut onions lengthwise into halves. Cut halves lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick
slices; separate into slivers.
- Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Add
onions and oregano; sauté over medium-low heat until onions are golden, 8 to
- Add chayote to skillet; sauté over medium heat, 3 minutes.
- Cover skillet; reduce heat to low. Cook until chayote is crisp-tender, 8
to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings