This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Nopalitos (Little Cacti)
- 3/4 pound nopal cactus pads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Remove thorns from the cactus paddles and cut them into strips about 2 inches
long by 1/4 inch wide.
- Boil the cactus paddles until they are soft and the texture is much like
that of cooked bell pepper.
- Heat a saucepan over moderate heat. Add olive oil, jalapeno chile and onion.
Cook until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Turn the heat to low. Add tomatoes, cooked cactus paddles and salt. Simmer,
uncovered, for 30 minutes, adding the vinegar for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Yield: 4 servings