This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Spicy Fried Potatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 small dried chile pepper, seeded and chopped, or pinch of chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- Put as many potatoes in a wide saucepan as will fit tightly in a single
layer. Cover with cold water, add salt and bring to a boil. Cover with and cook
for 20 to 25 minutes until done but not breaking up.
- Drain and peel or not as you wish, then cut into slices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Bruise the whole garlic cloves by pressing on
them with the flat of a knife and add to the pan along with the chopped, dried
chile pepper, if using. When the garlic browns, discard the garlic and chile
- Add potato slices over medium-high heat. When they start to color around
the edges, sprinkle with the paprika and chili powder, if using, and turn in
the pan for a couple of minutes more.