Indian-Spiced Pumpkin Bread
with Wisconsin Colby
A savory bread, Indian Spiced Pumpkin Bread with Wisconsin Colby derives its ethnic influence from curry powder, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 ounces (1 cup) canned or pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely diced hot chile, such as jalapeño or Serrano
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded Wisconsin Colby cheese, divided*
* Wisconsin Cheddar cheese can be substituted.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- In skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onion, curry powder, ground cumin,
cayenne pepper and salt. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the
onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sugar into a bowl.
- Melt remaining butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, chile, eggs, buttermilk, onion mixture
and melted butter. Mix just until moistened.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until mixed.
- Fold in 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining Colby over the bread top.
- Return to oven 5-7 minutes longer, until the cheese melts and the bread is baked
1 loaf or 12 servings
To puree fresh pumpkin: Peel the pumpkin and cut into 2-inch cubes. Boil in salted
water until tender, 8-12 minutes. Drain. Puree pumpkin in food processor or blender.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.