Use marzipan pumpkins as place card holders for your fall festival and Thanksgiving dinners.
- 1 (7 ounce) box Odense marzipan*
- 1 tube yellow food coloring
- 1 tube red food coloring
- Few drops vegetable oil
- A few wooden picks
* Odense Almond Paste may be substituted.
- Knead a small amount of food coloring into marzipan. You will use approximately 1 part red to 2 parts yellow to get a good pumpkin color.
- Take a small piece of the tinted marzipan and form a ball. With your little finger, make a small indentation in the top of the marzipan ball.
- Dip a wooden pick in vegetable oil. This keeps the marzipan from sticking
to it. Starting at the ball's North Pole, press the wooden pick's side in gently from pole to pole to make pumpkin "creases."
- For a final touch, add some tiny stems cut from stalks of mint or other non-toxic plant.
Yield: 15 mini pumpkins
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Odense