Bourbon-Pecan Sweet Potato Pie
Try a new twist on a heritage recipe, perfect for a holiday or family gathering.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 Pillsbury® Pet-Ritz® frozen deep dish pie crust (from 12-ounce package)
- In small bowl, mix pecans and bourbon. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In 13 x 9-inch ungreased baking dish, place sweet potatoes and water; cover
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain water; cool sweet potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Drain pecans, reserving bourbon.
- In large bowl, mash sweet potatoes; add eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt,
cinnamon, ginger and reserved bourbon. Mix well.
- Gradually stir in 1/3 cup whipping cream, scraping bowl after each addition.
Mix 1 minute longer. (Sweet potatoes have a coarse texture, so there will be
some small lumps.)
- Pour filling into frozen pie crust; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until filling puffs and is lightly browned
and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, for about 3 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
prep time 12 hr | total time 13 hr 35 min | servings 8
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):