Brandied Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1 ready-made or homemade 9-inch pie-crust (deep-dish)
- 1 egg white for washing crust
Ginger Whipped Cream
- 2 cups very cold heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger,
salt, heavy cream, milk, beaten eggs and brandy. Stir, don't whip, the mixture
or the baked pie will crack.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into a prepared pie shell. Brush the edge of the
crust with an egg wash.
- Bake in the center of a preheated, 375 degree F oven for 1 hour, or until
the pumpkin filling is set but the center shakes slightly.
- Serve with Ginger Whipped Cream.
- For Ginger Whipped Cream: Pour the heavy cream into a very cold, preferably
stainless steel, mixing bowl. Whisk the cream to a soft-peak stage.
- Add the powdered sugar and ginger, and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
If using a mixer, don't over-mix or you'll end up with very sweet, ginger-flavored
Yield: 8 servings