Bread Pudding in Pumpkins
- 2 medium pie pumpkins (about 3 pounds each)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
(14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 6 cups cubed crustless day-old bread
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- Wash pumpkins; cut off tops and discard. Scoop out seeds and loose fibers
(save seeds for another use if desired).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla
extract and nutmeg.
- Stir in the bread cubes, pineapple, walnuts and raisins. Spoon into pumpkin
- Place on a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Loosely cover tops with
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/4 hours.
- Uncover; bake 15-30 minutes longer or until pumpkin is soft and a knife
inserted near the center of bread pudding comes out clean.
- To serve, scoop bread pudding and cooked pumpkin into dessert dishes.
Yield: 6-8 servings