Caramel-Carrot Poke Cake
For extra richness and sweetness, tender carrot cake is topped with creamy, ready-to-spread
frosting and drizzled with caramel ice cream topping.
- 1 package Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® carrot cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 to 17.5 ounce) jar caramel or butterscotch topping
- 1 tub Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla ready-to-spread frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of rectangular pan, 13 x
9 x 2 inches, with shortening or spray bottom with cooking spray
- Beat cake mix, water, butter and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer
on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 27 to 33 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with handle of wooden spoon, wiping
handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- Reserve 1/2 cup caramel topping. Drizzle remaining caramel topping evenly
over top of cake; let stand about 15 minutes or until caramel topping has been
absorbed into cake. Run knife around side of pan to loosen cake.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the reserved 1/2 cup caramel topping. Stir remaining
topping into frosting; spread over top of cake.
- Drizzle with reserved 2 tablespoons caramel topping.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Forget the frosting! You can use an 8-ounce container of frozen whipped topping,
thawed, instead. Success Hint Some caramel toppings are thicker and stickier than
others. If the type you purchased is too thick to pour, warm it in the microwave
just until it can be poured. This ooey-gooey, very rich cake needs to be joined
by only a glass of milk or a cup of steaming coffee.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving)
Calories 450 o (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 13g o (Saturated Fat 7g,
o Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 79g o (Dietary
Fiber 0g, o Sugars 64g), Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 4 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 5
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker/© 2010 ®/TM General Mills