Chiffon Pumpkin Pie with Hazelnut Crunch Topping
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) carton low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (filberts) or pecans
- Pastry for nine-inch single-crust pie or one frozen pie crust
- For pie filling, in a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating lightly with a rotary beater after each addition.
- Stir in sour cream and milk. Mix well. Set aside.
- For nut topping, in a medium bowl combine brown sugar and melted margarine or butter.
- Stir in chopped hazelnuts or pecans.
- Line a nine-inch pie plate with pastry.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven, and pour the filling into the pastry shell. Sprinkle evenly with nut topping.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie shell with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, remove foil and continue to bake about
20 minutes more or until center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.