Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
with Ginger-Cream Filling
Angel food cake mixes with pumpkin for a new flavor twist. Layers of whipped
cream make it a dreamy dessert.
- 1 box Betty Crocker white angel food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Move oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food
(tube) cake pan.
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until crust is dark golden brown and cracks are dry.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or glass bottle. Let hang
about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool.
- Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or long metal spatula.
- Turn cake upside down onto serving plate.
- In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer
on high speed until stiff.
- Fold in ginger.
- Cut cake horizontally in half to make 2 even layers.
- Spread half of the filling on bottom layer; replace top of cake.
- Spread remaining filling on top of cake.
- Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice
Yield: 12 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 47 to 52 minutes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 110); Total
Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 270mg; Total
Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 27g); Protein 4g Percent Daily Value*:
Vitamin A 60%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 2%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
Choices: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from