Pumpkin Pecan Baklava
- 1 package Athens Fillo® Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pecans, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and
- Unroll and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Place one sheet of fillo in the bottom of the pan and lightly brush the
surface with melted butter.
- Layer and repeat with 9 more sheets.
- Evenly spread 1/3 of the pumpkin on top of the fillo.
- Evenly spread 1/3 of the pecan mixture on top of the pumpkin.
- Repeat this process twice more.
- Layer with remaining fillo, about 10 sheets.
- Butter the top layer.
- With a very sharp knife, cut layers into thirds, lengthwise. Then make a
cut from one corner to the next and cut parallel diagonal lines 1 inch apart
to make diamond-shaped pieces.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the fillo is golden brown.
- While baklava is baking, combine brown sugar and water in small sauce pan
over medium low heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the baklava is ready, remove from oven and pour hot syrup over the
- Allow to set for 4 hours to overnight.
Yield: 36 desserts
Use a 7 x 11-inch pan for a thicker baklava.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 39g, Amount per serving: Calories 150,
Calories from Fat – 90, Total Fat – 10g, Saturated fat – 3.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol
– 15mg, Sodium – 40 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Sugars – 5g, Protein – 2g
Recipe used with permission from
Athens Foods. This phyllo recipe and hundreds more can be
found at www.phyllo.com.