Pumpkin Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin (1 3/4 cups)
Sticky Toffee Sauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to
350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pudding: Sift together the flour, baking powder,
baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl with
an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in the eggs.
- Beat in the pumpkin. If the mixture curdles, do not worry.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, beating
until smooth after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spread in the baking pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean,
30 to 35 minutes. Meanwhile, make the Sticky Toffee Sauce.
- Sticky Toffee Sauce: Melt the brown sugar, butter, and
corn syrup in a heavy-bottomed large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to help dissolve the sugar.
- Whisk in the cream and bring to a boil, taking care that the mixture does
not boil over. Cook uncovered, whisking often, until the sauce is glossy, smooth,
and thick enough to nicely coat a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the burner so the sauce is kept warm by the burner’s residual heat.
- When the cake is done, transfer it to a wire cake rack.
- Using a meat fork, pierce the cake all over.
- Pour and spread about 1 cup of the toffee sauce over the cake.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the warm cake into individual bowls, top with more of the warm sauce,
and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.