Pumpkin Cake Bars with
Cream Cheese Frosting
These are moist and delicious, similar to carrot cake but with a fall flavor.
Toasting the walnuts before using them brings out a nutty essence. Toast nuts
in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 350 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes,
just until you can start to smell them; let cool before using.
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon each ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup (7 ounces)vegetable oil
- 1 cup (7 1/2 ounces) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (9 1/2 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces)toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) golden raisins, or 1/2 cup golden raisins and 1/2 cup ginger mini chips
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons(1 3/8 ounces) maple syrup
- 2 cups (12 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) toasted walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 18 x 13-inch half-sheet
- For the cake: Put the first five ingredients in a bowl and whisk together
until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Beat the oil and the sugars together until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the pumpkin puree.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and add the toasted walnuts
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until
a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and turn onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Frost the cake and cut into bars when cool.
- For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and the butter together.
- Add the maple syrup and stir well. Mix in the confectioners' sugar until
the frosting is the right consistency; adjust the consistency with more maple
syrup or confectioners' sugar.
- Frost the cake and sprinkle with the toasted walnuts.
- Cut into bars; a pizza wheel works well for this chore.
Yield: 36 (2 x 3-inch) bars
Nutrition information per serving (1 piece, 61 g): 230 cal, 13 g fat, 2 g
protein, 10 g complex carbohydrates, 15 g sugar, 1 g dietary fiber, 38 mg cholesterol,
88 mg sodium, 142 mg potassium, 1 mg vitamin C, 1 mg iron, 39 mg calcium, 44 mg
This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet Newsletter, Vol. III, No. 8, September-October
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour