Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes
Toasted and sugared nuts top cream cheese frosting on sweet and spicy pumpkin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist
yellow cake mix
- 1 cup (from 15-ounce can) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 container Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (or 325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan).
Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In heavy 8-inch nonstick skillet, cook pecans and 2 tablespoons of the sugar
over low heat about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted.
- Spoon and spread pecans onto sheet of waxed paper.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; toss.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs and pumpkin pie
spice with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about 2/3 full).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes with frosting.
- Sprinkle edge of frosted cupcakes with pecans; press lightly into frosting.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 90); Total
Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 1 1/2g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 210mg; Total
Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 24g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*:
Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from