Stuffed Pumpkin with
Cranberry-Raisin Bread Pudding
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) pumpkin*
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf raisin bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Cut off top of pumpkin, reserving lid with stem. Scoop out pumpkin seeds
and pulp, and reserve for another use.
- Brush inside of pumpkin shell with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Top with lid.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Brush inside of baked pumpkin shell with 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle with
1 tablespoon sugar.
- Stir together eggs and next 6 ingredients; spoon pudding mixture into a
lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake pumpkin and bread pudding at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Let pumpkin cool; spoon bread pudding evenly into pumpkin shell.
- Cook vanilla bean, water, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan over
medium heat, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in butter and remaining ingredients, and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Remove vanilla bean.
Yields 12 servings; 1 2/3 cups sauce
For individual servings, substitute 12 (1/2-pound) pumpkins. Scoop out
seeds and pulp; sprinkle each pumpkin shell with 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon
sugar, and bake with the bread pudding. (Do not pre-bake as with the larger pumpkin.)
Spoon bread pudding evenly into baked pumpkin shells.
Southern Living, October 2002