Country Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 medium-size
celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook until
browned, stirring frequently to break up sausage. With slotted spoon, remove
sausage from skillet to large bowl.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage drippings from skillet. Add margarine
or butter, celery, onion, and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until
vegetables are browned.
- Stir in broth, black pepper, and 3/4 cup water; heat to boiling, stirring
to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Add vegetable mixture, cornbread stuffing mix, pecans and parsley to sausage;
- Use to stuff a 12- to 16-pound turkey. Or spoon stuffing into a 13 x 9-inch
glass baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the stuffing
is heated through.