Southern Cornbread and Oyster Dressing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 1/2 cup oyster liquid, from drained oysters
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté onions and celery in 2 tablespoons of the butter until wilted, not
- Combine cornbread and bread crumbs in a large bowl; mix in sautéed onions,
salt and pepper, and parsley.
- Add beaten eggs and toss more; moisten with the oyster liquid until moist
but not soggy.
- Add the oysters.
- Pat the mixture into a lightly buttered rectangular cake pan (it should
make a 1-inch layer in the pan).
- Dot with remaining butter, and bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown
and set in the center.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.