Southern Cornbread and Oyster Dressing
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 1/2 cup oyster liquid, from drained oysters
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté onions and celery in 2 tablespoons of the butter until wilted, not
- Combine cornbread and bread crumbs in a large bowl; mix in sautéed onions,
salt and pepper, and parsley.
- Add beaten eggs and toss more; moisten with the oyster liquid until moist
but not soggy.
- Add the oysters.
- Pat the mixture into a lightly buttered rectangular cake pan (it should
make a 1-inch layer in the pan).
- Dot with remaining butter, and bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown
and set in the center.