Baked Ziti with Pumpkin and Sausage
Providing wholesome flavors and nutritious benefits, this baked Ziti, with a healthy twist, includes pumpkin, spinach and chicken sausage. It's sure to delight your family's taste buds and have them asking for seconds!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups (12 ounces) dry regular or whole-wheat ziti
- 1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 4 links (12 ounces) fully-cooked Italian-seasoned chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (6 ounce) package or about 4 cups pre-washed baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim or 2% milk reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (1.5 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 4-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and set aside for later use. Drain pasta; return to cooking pot.
- Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, flour, garlic powder, salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Pour over pasta in pot.
- Add sausage and reserved pasta cooking water; stir well.
- Spread half of the pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with spinach. Cover with remaining pasta mixture.
- Lightly spray piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray. Cover ziti with foil, greased-side-down.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in small bowl.
- Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Prep: 20 min | Bake: 25 min | 12 servings
Nutritional Information Calories: 200 Calories from Fat: 35 Total Fat: 4 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 10 mg Sodium: 300 mg Carbohydrates: 31 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Sugars: 7 g Protein: 12 g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé® and meals.com