Cranberried Monte Cristo Strata
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey (1/4 pound)
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham (1/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 baguette (day old works fine)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Using serrated knife, cut baguette into 1/2-inch slices. Toast both sides until crisp and golden brown around edges.
- Mix 1/2 cup cranberry sauce and the mustard in small bowl. Spread over 1 side toasted baguette slices.
- Arrange half of slices, cranberry side up, in bottom of dish, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle evenly with turkey, ham and cheese. Top with remaining toast, cranberry side down.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and pepper sauce in large bowl; whisk until well blended and slightly frothy.
- Pour egg mixture carefully into baking dish, making sure bread is soaked with liquid.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover baking dish.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until puffed and top is slightly golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining cranberry sauce and the vinegar in small bowl.
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over strata.
- Top each serving with dollop of cranberry mixture.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: