- 1 fresh or completely thawed goose
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- Dried fruit or fruit and wild rice stuffing*
* Or completely stuff the goose with dried fruit including apricots, raisins
prunes, etc or make any other rice and fruit stuffing.
- Puncture many holes in the skin of the goose.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place unstuffed goose in roasting pan with large area for catching grease.
Roast approximately 45 minutes to an hour until slightly brown. Watch carefully This is only the first step in cooking so
you don't want it to burn. You can optionally turn the goose over to brown both sides.
- Remove the goose from the oven. Allow the goose to cool so it can be handled
comfortably. Drain the pan.
- Mix orange juice and honey.
- Pat down the goose with paper towels to remove the grease. Pat both inside
- Stuff the goose.
- Baste with the orange juice-honey sauce.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F or slightly cooler.
- Place goose on a roasting pan in the oven. Bake goose using the rule of about
25 minutes per pound, but subtract 45 minutes because of the cooking done in the first step. Re-baste goose while
cooking every half hour. It is not necessary to turn the goose over in this step. When done, drumsticks should separate
fairly easily from the goose. Use same rules for doneness as other poultry.